Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Near Death Experience

As promised, I’m trying to post things more frequently…here is a story for you.

I almost died today! Almost died of fright, that is. Outside the building where I work is a pond with ducks and lots of nice shady trees. It really is quite pretty. I went for a little walk during my lunch break today. I was talking to my mom on the phone, having a casual conversation. I had wondered away from the parking lot to stand in the shade of one of the trees near the pond.

Suddenly, I became aware that something around me was different. It took me a very long second to realize what it was…right in front of me on the grass was a snake! Anyone who knows me well, knows how I am deathly afraid of snakes!

This snake wasn’t just sitting there holding still either! It was “standing” up, as snakes do when they are getting ready to strike. It was flailing its tongue all around. It scared me to death! The next few seconds seemed to last forever as they went by in slow motion. I screamed, and ran. I’m sure if anyone had been watching, they would have had quite the show! I ran toward the parking lot to the sunshine where I was quite sure the snake would not follow me.

Hahaha! I can’t quite get rid of the chills. I am just glad I had enough sense to run toward the parking lot, rather than the other direction into the pond. My poor mom, I was still on the phone with her and she had no idea what was going on. I think she finally heard the word snake mixed in with the other words I was shouting. She was very sympathetic to my cause, and she did her best to comfort me through the phone. I can’t say the same of Dad and James. When they heard the story, they both mocked me profusely.  But, I knew they would before I told them, and I’m glad they tease me. It helps me know I am loved.

I hope you enjoyed this story. It is still too recent for me to laugh at it. I’m sure I’ll see more humor to it after more time has passed. It must have just been a water snake, but it was a pretty good size and appeared so suddenly. I was just not expecting to see it there!

No comments: